Interstate Compacts

New Jersey belongs to two different interstate compacts. The interstate compact is called the Nonresident Violator Compact. This compact requires member states to report tickets received by drivers to their home state. Consequently, once the ticket or the DWI is reported, then they will receive points and insurance hikes in their home state. Moreover, in most cases, when a driver receives a traffic ticket or a DWI in New Jersey, then the case will also be reported to the driver’s home state.

The only states that are not part of the Interstate Compact are Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon, and Wisconsin.


The Non-Resident Violator Compact requires member states to suspend the driver’s license of those who get traffic tickets for moving violations in other states and fail to pay them. The compact is not supposed to include non-moving violations such as expired inspection stickers, equipment violations such as window tinting or parking violations.


New Jersey also belongs to the National Driver License Compact. This compact also exchanges violation information with other states. This compact ensures that out-of-state violations become part of your New Jersey driving record, and points are assessed for each moving violation.

The states of Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin are not part of this compact.


As a general rule, drivers who are licensed in Pennsylvania and get speeding tickets in New Jersey have to be very careful when they fight their ticket. The charge of unsafe driving, even though it is a no point violation in New Jersey, it will be considered to be a point violation in Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation will assess points against a Pennsylvania driver who is convicted of this traffic offense.

In order to help a Pennsylvania driver to avoid points, then the best course of action would be to enter a plea of guilty to the New Jersey speeding offense, although at a downgraded speed of between 1 and 5 miles per hour over the limit. In Pennsylvania, a speeding offense involving a speed of between 1 and 5 miles per hour over the limit is considered a non-point violation. Thus when the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission reports the violation to Pennsylvania the driver will not receive any points if the speed has been amended.


In summary, there is really no way to “beat the system.” If you are a reckless driver, then your bad ways are going to be trailed back to your home state. Most states will give the driver some points on their driving record if they receive traffic tickets in other states.

In New Jersey a driver will receive two points on their driving record, if he or she receives a traffic ticket from another state. It does not matter if the driver received a reckless ticket, or even an improper passing of a school bus ticket, the New Jersey driver will still only receive two points on their driving record.